Homeland Security and Emergency Management

Earlier this month, the City of Gaylord met with FEMA representatives and the State Representative from Homeland Security and Emergency Management to present damage information to public infrastructure/facilities and Gaylord’s private property and business owners. The meeting was simply an initial estimate to assess the damages in our community. From submitted documentation, I presented approximately $40,000 in public and several personal property damages from the June 19th Flashflood Event. The total assessment from all jurisdictions within the County will be brought to the Governor, who will use that information to request a disaster declaration from the President.

The State Representative discussed personal property damages and explained that property and business owners are encouraged to repair/replace their damaged property before receiving other forms of financial assistance. The sequential steps for an individual to follow:

1) Contact personal property insurance carrier;

2) Seek assistance through volunteer organizations such as the Red Cross or United Way (call 211) for manpower assistance to remove carpet, sanitize the basement, cut out paneling/sheetrock, etc.

· The State Representative stated that FEMA will not provide individual property/business owner assistance until a threshold is met: 580 homes destroyed statewide.

· The State Representative offered two other useful tips:

1) Teachers and Veterans: There is grant money for you to assist in property repairs.

· Veterans, their families, and surviving spouses may be eligible for disaster relief grants up to $1,000 for expenditures dated no earlier than June 11, 2014 and no later than August 31, 2014, and applications must be postmarked by no later than September 30, 2014.

· Veterans should contact their respective County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) to apply for a Disaster Relief Grant, or call 1-888-LINKVET (546-5838) for assistance finding the location and phone number of their CVSO.

· The State Representative will forward information regarding grants for teachers through the MN Department of Education.

2) Make sure you test your furnace and other appliances now, then again in two months, and again before the winter season. If problems arise, these replacement costs could be covered through your insurance or other financial assistance measures.

The next step is to wait. We will be contacted by our County Emergency Manager regarding the next meeting date/time.

Homeowner Insurance Information

Below is some information for homeowners with flood insurance claims that have been rejected.

“Everyone who has had a claim rejected is encouraged to call 1-800-657-3602 which is the Department of Commerce’s Consumer Response Team hotline.” That number is contained in the packet.

Commerce Disaster Packet 2014


Bryan Gorman
Sibley County Emergency Management
Direct: (507) 237-4109
Cell: (612) 759-1792
Fax: (507) 237-4401